Photo by kieferpix/iStock / Getty Images

There are various different routes available for work-related visas in the UK and we will be best able to advise you on which route is most suited to your needs.

  • Tier 2 -  (General)
  • Tier 2 – Ministers of Religion
  • Tier 2 – Sports persons
  • Tier 2 – Intra- Company transfers

Our Promises 

  • To give you a thorough understanding of the issues involved from the outset
  • To explain which application is best and why
  • To listen to what you and your family need, and keep this at the core of our advice
  • To make a time sensitive action plan   
  • To communicate with you throughout the process  


Under this category foreign nationals who have been offered a skilled job can be employed by a company which has a sponsor licence. In most scenarios you will need to show that this position cannot be filled by locally by a British or permanent resident in the UK.

You can apply for Entry Clearance from abroad if you have been offered a job in the UK, or alternatively in some limited scenarios, switch into the Tier 2 (General) category from within the UK.

You must meet a number of requirements to enter Tier 2 category, in general, to be eligible you will need to show the following:

  • A certificate of sponsorship
  • Minimum salary amount, known as an ‘appropriate salary’
  • Be able to demonstrate that youcan speak and understand English
  • Evidence that you can financially support yourself
  • Have been offered a graduate level job

Certificate of sponsorship (CoS) - This isn’t actually a physical certificate but a reference number that is given to your employer once they apply for it. This number will need to be submitted on your application form.

Appropriate salary - In order to qualify for Tier 2 (General) your employer must be offering you a job with a minimum salary of £20,500. There are exceptions to this and our lawyers can advise you on whether or not you fall into any of the exceptions.

English language - You must be able to demonstrate that you have a good knowledge of the English language. This can be evidenced by passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level B1 in reading, writing, listening and speaking. However, you may not have to take the English language test if you have an academic qualification that was taught in English and is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree. If you are a national of a predominantly English speaking country you will not need to take the language test.


As a Tier 2 worker the Home Office allow your family members to reside in the UK alongside you. A dependant is a husband, wife or partner and a child under the age of 18 years old. As a Tier 2 dependant you are allowed to work in the UK, set up your own business or be self-employed however you can’t work in the UK as a doctor or dentist in training.

Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)

You may be eligible for ILR but it depends on when you first arrived in the UK in this category. Tier 2 (General) can lead to ILR in the UK after 5 years in this category but this is a complex application requiring a thorough examination of your circumstances.

There are many categories attached to the Tier 2 visa and our expert lawyers will be on hand to talk you through the subtle differences in each category.  We ensure that in making this application you are fully briefed and know what evidence you’ll need to provide.

Please contact our specialist Tier 2 team for further information and advice.