If your employer is a multinational company with offices around the world and they wish to transfer you to the UK, you will require a Tier 2 Intra Company Transfer (ICT) visa.

Intra Company Transfer Visa (ICT)

Before you can come to the UK your employer must have a Tier 2 (ICT) Sponsorship Licence in place, in order to obtain this, the employer must show a direct link by common ownership or control with the overseas company.

To apply under the ICT you will need a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) reference number and an ‘appropriate salary’. This will vary depending on the category of ICT visa you are applying under.

You will also need to demonstrate that you can financially support yourself by showing evidence of £945 in your bank account for a minimum of 90 days prior to the date of the application.

As an ICT you can fit into one of the four categories:

  1. Long term staff: This is for employees who want to come to the UK for a period of 12 months or more and this position cannot be filled by a local recruit. The employee must have worked for their employer for at least 12 months.
  2. Short term staff: Aside from working with their current employer for more than 12 months, the employee must be filling a vacancy for less than 12 months. Again, the position must be one that cannot be filled locally.
  3. Graduate trainee: Employees who have recently graduated and who are hoping to take on a graduate training programme can apply for this visa. You have to be a recent graduate and have had at least 3 months experience with your employer. 
  4. Skills transfer: Using this route you can transfer new and graduate employees to the UK base of your company for the purpose of gaining skills and knowledge or to train others in the UK. There is no minimum amount of time you should have been with your employer.

Currently, Tier 2 (ICT) does not lead to permanent residence in the UK.