Formerly known as a Student visa this category enables foreign students to come to the UK to study. The UK has always attracted international students because of its world renowned educational institutions. This has led to tougher requirements for sponsors and students wishing to study here.

Our lawyers have expertise in all types of student visas and will assist you from the stage you receive a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letter, to making the application.

There are two types of student visas and which one to apply for is dependant on your age. If you are 16 years or over and have been offered a place on a course you can apply for a Tier 4 (General) visa to study in the UK. However, if you are aged between 4 and 17 years old and been offered a place on a course you should apply for a Tier 4 (Child) visa.

The Home Office requires you to have an approved offer from an educational institution, as well as evidence of being able to support yourself financially in the UK.

The importance of your education should not be underestimated; at Quantum we understand the timeframes and deadlines associated with the Tier 4 visa and will advise you on pre planning your educational journey to the best of our ability.

Continuation of Studies – Tier 4 Visa

Should you wish to continue studying in the UK, you will require a new Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) and there has to be an academic progression in order to be eligible. I.E. From a Bachelor to Master. If you are following a course which will lead to the award of a PHD, you can apply for the Doctorate Extension Scheme, which allows you to stay in the UK 12 months after your course has ended.

Tier 2 General Visa

If you are in a position where you have been offered a job by licensed sponsor and have been given a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) after you have graduated, you can apply for a Tier 2 General Visa. When switching from a Tier 4 Student to Tier 2 General within the UK, there is no annual limit and no need for the employer to advertise the job (Resident Labour Market Test). In order to meet the requirements, you will need to have completed your degree, although you do not need to wait for a degree certificate as a letter and the transcript will suffice when making the application.

Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa (£50,000)

In country switching to this visa is only allowed for those applicants who have access to £50,000 in investment funds - You can also apply if you’ve already invested £50,000 in a UK business, however, you must have invested the funds less than 12 months before you apply. Your access to the funds must come from at least one of the following:

  • a UK entrepreneurial seed funding competition endorsed by UKTI
  •  a government department making funds available for the purpose of setting up or expanding a UK business

Your investment funds cannot include:

  • your own money
  • money from any other third parties
  • money from a UK venture capital firm

Apply to Remain in the UK as a Spouse of a British Citizen

If you have married a British Citizen or someone who is permanently settled in the UK, you can apply to remain in the UK as spouse. You must be married. As per the Spouse Visa rules, you will need to satisfy the Home Office that your relationship is genuine and subsisting and meet the financial and accommodation requirements.

If you are applying as an unmarried partner, you will have to demonstrate to the Home Office that you have been living together for 2 years and can provide documents to evidence this. You do not have to have lived for 2 years continuously in the UK, as long as you have lived together.

For a free 15 minute initial assessment, call our expert immigration team: